Friday, July 31, 2009

The Rivers Run Dry

It's been far too long since I've reviewed a book. I've been having some issues with my apartment, which you can read about on my main blog. So without further ado, here is my review!

I picked a book called The Rivers Run Dry written by Sibella Giorello. It's the second book about a forensic geologist Raleigh Harmon.

Special Agent Raleigh Harmon is good at her job, but not as good at bureau politics. As one of the few females on the team, she finds herself in a strange land when she's transferred from Richmond to drought-stricken Seattle. When a hiker suddenly goes missing and a ransom note arrives, Raleigh realizes there's no time for transitions. Vowing to find the missing college girl, she must rely on her forensic geology skills to uncover the truth, leaving no stone unturned.

Gritty and poetic, with an evocative sense of place, a quirky cast of characters, a fast-twisting plot, and a compelling, complicated heroine, this superbly crafted mystery will keep you reading compulsively as hope runs short, the clock runs down, and the rivers run dry.


I found it very easy to relate to Raleigh, out of place in a new city, 3000 miles from home. She is a great detective, but not always by-the-book, which lands her in a bit of trouble.

While this is a Christian Fiction book, I did not find that it really went very far into the detail of Raleigh's faith. While it is not overly explained, you still get the subtle message of stability through faith.

All in all I found it to be a book you can really put yourself in. It was suspenseful and thrilling, yet still realistic. A great read!

Thomas Nelson Publishers provided me with a free copy of this book to review. All opinions are solely mine and are not influenced in any way.

No comments: